The Johnson Society, based in Lichfield, has over 600 members across the UK and worldwide. Most members of the society live in the UK, but there are members in Australia, Japan and the far East, Sweden, France, Germany, USA and Canada.
Society activities and items of interest are listed in Events. Past activities of the society are recorded in The Johnson Society Transactions which is published each January. To see content details of a selection of these publications go to the Transactions page.
If you would like to become a member of the Johnson Society see the How to Join section.
- encourage the study of, and further interest in, the life, works and times of Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), often called ‘Doctor Johnson’ (see About Johnson)
- preserve the memorials, associations, manuscripts and letters of Johnson and his contemporaries
- co-operate with Lichfield District Council and Lichfield City Council in the commemoration of Johnson’s Birthday,
- encourage the study of local history with particular reference to the C18th
- co-operate with the councils in the preservation of the Johnson Birthplace Museum.
(for more information, see About us)